Saturday, November 10, 2007

Catholics and Justification

I found another great source of theological discussion online. The White Horse Inn. The website is here: http://www.whitehorseinn.org/.

I just listened to a fascinating discussion about the Catholic understanding of justification entitled, Roman Catholics and Justification.

http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/The_White_Horse_Inn/archives.asp

This topic of Catholic and Prodestant views of justification in one which I know little about. It made headlines recently when Frank Beckwith, former president of the Evangelical Theological Society, reverted back to Catholicism. The reason he sited was the doctrine of justification. He believed the Catholic explanation to be more Biblical than the Prodestant view. I did not know much about the Catholic view other than the straw men and charactertures that Evangelicals can create when talking about such topics.

I would have told you that Catholics believe that we must work to be saved and our merits are what save us before God. However, after listening a bit to this interview, I think that is a vast oversimplification of their ideas. I would love to do more exploring on this topic.

No comments: